Food ReservoirFood security
, the ability to access enough food daily, is an essential component for active, healthy living for all people. According to the USDA, 11% of households
in the United States regularly do not have sufficient food to thrive.
As a member of Feeding America, the Nation’s Food Bank Network, the HACAP Food Reservoir channels donated products to area soup kitchens, pantries, senior and daycare centers, drug and alcohol treatment centers, homeless shelters and other nonprofit food programs that feed the needy.
Our program thrives through donations and volunteer support. We have several special events where organizations and individuals can get involved with improving the overall food security of our local communities. These programs include:
The Food Reservoir Program:
- Scouting for Food
- Stamp Out Hunger
- Eastern Iowa Freedom From Hunger (Eastern Iowa Freedom from Hunger is not associated with the international development organization Freedom from Hunger, http://www.freedomfromhunger.org)
- Distributes approximately 2.4 million pounds of food to local organizations;
- Provides over 4,000 food boxes a year for families in need;
- Serves as a food distributor for Holiday Assistance Programs, which help over 2,800 families annually and
- Saves the 89 partner agencies over $2,200,000 in food costs, based on wholesale costs, thereby allowing them to spend those funds on other program activities and services.
If you live outside our service area, please call United Way
2-1-1 and request information on food pantries in your community.