One mission, many ways to get involved!
HACAP provides a multitude of opportunities for both individuals and large groups. Together, we help build stronger communities with the help of great volunteers who provide thousands of hours of work that we couldn’t do alone. To get started volunteering with HACAP, please fill out and return the Volunteer Application below and we will get in contact with you as to your next steps.
Both individual and group volunteer projects occur during HACAP's regular business hours of 8:00am-5:00pm, M-F, with the exception of HACAP's Mobile Food Pantry in Vinton, IA occurring every second Saturday of the month.
Individual Volunteers - SIGN UP HERE
Group Volunteers - SIGN UP HERE
Before you get started, please take some time to view our current volunteer opportunities, and their descriptions, below to see which opportunity may be of the best fit for you or your group.
HACAP Food Reservoir volunteers help us to sort, pack, and channel donated products to food pantries, area soup kitchens, senior and daycare centers, drug and alcohol treatments centers, homeless shelters and other nonprofit food programs that feed the needy. Volunteer needs in the HACAP Food Reservoir change on a weekly basis depending on the amount donations and volunteer support we receive. Specific volunteer projects for the Food Reservoir include:
- Sorting produce, bakery, and/or canned goods
- Packing Emergency Food Boxes
- Picking Food Orders
- Help with Mobile Food Pantries
- Packing Bags for Operation BackPack & Senior Toes Program
- Holding a Food Drive (see our Suggested Food Donation list)
Head Start and Early Head Start volunteers help our comprehensive early childhood development program that serves children from birth to age 5, pregnant women, and their families. As child-focused programs, volunteers help us in fulfilling the overall goal of increasing the school readiness of young children in low-income families. Volunteers who assist with group activities beyond the level of reading to children will require a background check. Specific volunteer projects for Head Start include:
- Reading to children
- Assisting staff with group activities
- Helping with art projects and center time
Health Alliance volunteers assist our clients in meeting health and nutritional needs during critical times of developmental growth by working a variety of HACAP’s services such as maternal health, WIC, and I-Smile. Specific volunteer projects for the Health Alliance include:
- Front Desk Support
- Translation for bilingual clients
- Data Entry
- Special Events
Rural Senior Services volunteers help our Senior Dining Program & 4th Street Diner’s in Benton County to distribute and deliver meals to individuals in need who can’t make it out of their homes. Specific volunteer projects for Rural Senior Services include:
- Delivering and transporting of meals
- General kitchen help
- Washing Dishes
- Help at the 4th Street Diner in Vinton, IA
- Help with Belle Plaine Senior Dining in Belle Plaine, IA
- Adopt-A-Family (November - December)
- United Way Day of Caring (May)
- SNAP Table at the Farmer's Market (June-September)
- Home Run for Hunger at the Farmer's Market (June-September)
Receive email updates on our upcoming volunteer opportunities below!