HACAP works everyday to help people develop skills to become successful and build strong communities. Volunteers are a vital part in fulfilling our mission. Every hour of time volunteering makes a big difference in the lives of the eastern Iowans we serve.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with HACAP! View our current volunteer opportunities or fill out a general volunteer application if you don’t know where to begin.
- Packing/Sorting Food Donations: Help us sort and pack food for our neighbors in need.
- Mobile Food Pantry: Hand out shelf stable food, bread, bakery, and pre-boxed donated items on location to individuals, families, and children in need and assist with the set up and unloading of the mobile food pantry truck as needed. Clients will drive thru for pick-up.
- Food Pantry Order Prep: Prep and prepare our weekly food orders for partner pick-ups. Individual volunteers would be needed primarily on Wednesdays and Thursdays anytime between 7 am - 5 pm for 2-3 hours. This role involves lifting up to 50 lbs. and standing for up to 4 hours, depending on shift length.
- Backpack Program Packing/Prep (school year only): Pack food bags for local elementary school students to take home so they have nutritious and easy-to-eat foods for when they are not at school.
- Help assist in answering phone calls for LIHEAP and Weatherization and provide accurate program information and/or route to the appropriate person.
- Help schedule appointments as needed for the LIHEAP Program.
- Help assist in checking that files are scanned appropriately in the database.
- Query client selection database for various records as needed.
- Volunteers can assist anytime during our normal buisness hours of Mon-Fri from 8AM-5PM
Please note that our Head Start volunteer positions will require additional paperwork, including a background check form.
Head Start Classroom Reader: Our preschool aged children are always looking for a guest reader! Bring your favorite childrens book and help make their day.
Head Start Classroom Assistant: Help assist our teachers with dramatic play, snack time, or arts and crafts! Ongoing volunteers and those who are working directly with children in the classroom under this specific role will be required to fill out a background check.
Head Start Administrative: Help our staff alphabetize and file paperwork.
Rural Senior Dining (Benton County)
- 4th Street Diner: Help serve hot meals at our senior dining site in Vinton, IA.
- Belle Plaine Senior Dining: Deliver meals to seniors in the area and help prepare meals at the site kitchen.
Washington County Food Pantry (Washington, IA)
Please contact RenElla, Washington County Operations Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the pantry at 319-653-7275 to let her know your availability.
Grocery Store Pick-Ups: Volunteers may use their own vehicle or HACAP vehicle (driver's license and proof of auto insurance required).
Sorting Donated Food: Help out during the week to organize and sort food donations. This helps us to get the food out quickly and safely to the hungry individuals in our community.
- Playground Mulching: Help us keep our playground areas safe! Load wheel barrows of mulch and spread it on our playground's "fall zones" which are the likely area for children to fall.
Craig Stiefel, Food Reservoir Volunteer Coordinator
Phone: (319) 739-0587 Email: email@example.com
Chris Ackman, Communications & Volunteer Manager
Phone: (319) 739-1505 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org