Veteran Support

Programs & Services

For questions and more information on HACAP's Veteran Support programs call us at (319) 393-7811 or by emailing

Operation Home 

Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF) is funded by the department of Veteran Affairs to improve the housing stability of homeless Veterans and their families in Linn, Jones, Benton, Cedar, Iowa, Johnson, Washington, Dubuque, Black Hawk, Buchanan, and Delaware counties. We call our program "Operation Home."

In addition to stable housing, Veterans who enroll in the Operation Home Program are eligible to receive case management services, connections to Veteran and mainstream benefits, and temporary financial assistance.

A number of local organizations are helping HACAP advance our mission to provide supportive services to homeless Veterans and their families. Some of HACAP's partnerships include:

  • Greater Cedar Rapids Community Foundation
  • Goodwill of the Heartland
  • Willis Dady Shelter
  • Operation Threshold
  • Hillcrest Family Services
  • Shelter House of Iowa City
  • Various area schools

HACAP SSVF Operation Home Logo 1.png

Operation Home FAQ

Where do you find homeless veterans sleeping outside?

We find homeless veterans sleeping under bridge overpasses, camping near rivers, in parking ramps and in their own cars.

What era of veterans do you most commonly see?

While we see veterans from as far back as WWII, our most common eras are Vietnam and Desert Storm.

How do we refer someone to you for service?

You can access our services by calling 319-739-0023 and asking for an Operation Home representative.

How long can clients be in your program?

Initially clients are enrolled for 90 days. They can then re-certify for an additional 90 days for a maximum of 6 months.

Should I give a homeless veteran money when I see them panhandling?

This is one of the most common questions. While this is completely left open to each individual's discretion, we should consider that we know very little about that person's situation. Often times, money is not what they really need. HACAP and our partner agencies employ trained professionals who have likely already encountered the individual in a professional setting. In order to ensure these types of clients receive the highest quality of care, we recommend individuals donate to their Community Action Programs and their local social service agencies.

Eligibility Requirements

  • Must be a Veteran or have a Veteran in the household
  • Must have had at least 1 day of active duty
  • Must meet income guidelines
  • Can serve any discharge status other than dishonorable
  • Live in Linn, Johnson, Benton, Iowa, or Jones County