Energy Conservation

Programs & Services

For questions and more information on HACAP's Energy Conservation programs call us at (319) 393-7811 or by emailing


The HACAP Weatherization Assistance Program works to reduce personal utility costs by improving the housing stock of low-income individuals and families. The program provides services to people on fixed-incomes and children living in low-wage households.

  • Home Energy Savers - The Alliant Energy Home Energy Savers program can help put energy efficiency upgrades within reach. If you qualify for the program, you pay just 15% of the project cost and Alliant Energy will pick up the rest. These upgrades can help bring down monthly energy bills and make your home more comfortable.
  • Lead-Based Paint - Offers lead-based paint services by assessing the level of risk at a given location and providing an action plan for isolating or removing the lead-paint hazard.

Housing Stabilization

HACAP's Housing Stabilization services provide secure households to people living on fixed incomes. From energy assistance, heat assistance, and help paying utility bills, we work to reduce personal costs.

  • Energy Assistance - The federally funded Low-income Heat Energy Assistance Program (LiHEAP) serves as the backbone of HACAP's Energy Assistance projects. We integrate this vital program with Emergency Crisis Intervention (ECIP) and our homeowner furnace projects, providing furnace maintenance, repair and replacement. Apply By Clicking Here.
  • Energy Counseling - provides energy efficiency education, budget counseling and incentives for qualified households. Through energy counseling we strive to decrease energy consumption, which will aid in the reduction of reliance on non-household income assistance as a means of maintaining energy services.
  • Disaster Assistance - Provides case case management and grant assistance after a disaster proclamation has been declared by the Governor. 
  • Financial Literacy - A service offered by HACAP focused on providing people in the community with a basic understanding of Finance.  Our Financial Literacy services cover everything from Budgeting, Credit Cards, different types of Loans(Mortgage, Personal, etc..), Credit Scores, Minor Credit Repair and more.  This service is free and aims to help community members manage their finances long term.  For more Information call (319) 739-1521.


Energy Assistance FAQ

How do I apply?

Applications are accepted on a first come-first serve basis from Nov 1st to April 30th. Households with an elderly or disabled member, or have an active disconnect notice or are currently disconnected may apply after Oct 1st.

You may download the application here. For the 2019/2020 season, all applicants must be seen in person at one of our energy intake sites. For your application to be considered complete, you will need proof of member identify, copies of your heat & electric bills and all household income. You can read more about what type of documents you will need on the application instructions.

All applicants will be sent a Notice of Approval or Denial within 30 days of submitting an application.  The initial determination of eligibility and the benefit amount is subject to review and payments are dependent on the availability of federal funds.

Where do I go to apply?

Benton County

North Benton Center

202 E. 4th St

Vinton, IA 52349


Office Hours:  Monday – Friday 8:00 - 11:30 am and 12:30 - 4:00 pm

Iowa County                                                 

Marengo Public Library                                 

235 E Hilton St                                               

Marengo, IA  52301                                       

319-393-7811 (HACAP’s phone. The Library will not take phone calls)

HACAP Staff on site Tuesday & Thursday

10:00 am - 1:00 pm & 1:30 - 5:00 pm

Representatives will be available by phone Monday – Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm

Johnson County

Waterfront Office

367 Southgate Ave

Iowa City, IA  52240


Office Hours:  Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 12:00 pm and 1:00 - 4:00 pm

Jones County


105 Broadway Place Suite 17

Anamosa, Iowa  52205


Office Hours: Monday – Friday 9:00 am - 12:00 pm and 1:00 - 4:00 pm

Linn County

Urban Center

1328 2nd Ave SE

Cedar Rapids, IA  52403


Office Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00 am - 12:00 pm and 1:00 - 4:00 pm


Inn Circle Office

5560 6th St SW

Cedar Rapids, IA  52404


Office Hours: Tuesday – Thursday 8:00 am - 12:00 pm and 1:00 - 4:00 pm

Washington County

Orchard Hill Center

2175 Lexington Blvd Bldg 1 East Door        

Washington, IA 52353


What if I have a disconnection notice?

If you have a heating or electric disconnect notice, please contact your energy vendor immediately and let them know that you are applying for LIHEAP. At the top of your application, please write “DISCONNECT NOTICE” and the date and name of the person you talked to when you called your energy vendor and get your LIHEAP application to a HACAP site as soon as possible.

If you receive a disconnect notice after you submitted your application, call our office immediately.

Is there an income cap for LIHEAP or energy programs?

Wages, self-employment or farm income, FIP, Social Security, SSI, VA benefits, pensions, unemployment, workers compensation, child support, alimony, General Assistance payments, training stipends, regular insurance or annuity payments, military family allotments, rental income, royalties, gambling or lottery winnings, and periodic receipts from estates or trusts.

Here are the income guidelines for LIHEAP based on household size:

PY20 Poverty Guidelines

Weatherization FAQ

What is the Weatherization Assistance Program?

HACAP's Weatherization Assistance Program improves approximately 200 local houses annually, bringing a $476 average first year energy savings per property. We work to reduce personal utility costs by improving the housing stock of low-income individuals and families. The program provides services to people on fixed-incomes and children living in low-wage households. HACAP's Weatherization programs are currently serving residents in Benton, Iowa, Johnson, Jones, Linn, and Washington Counties. You can contact HACAP Weatherization Program at or call (319) 393-7811

In addition to improving local housing, weatherization also improves the local economy by providing a $1.53 return for every $1 invested, while reducing cases of homelessness and demand for public assistance. Weatherization programs also help reduce the export of local energy dollars, keeping more household dollars in the community. Weatherization creates local jobs and improves air quality and health.

What are the eligibility requirements?

Eligibility is determined by income and household utility usage. Individuals that apply to the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LiHEAP) have their cases referred to the weatherization program for eligibility determination. You can apply for weatherization year round. 

I’ve been approved for weatherization, when are you going to get it done?

Households applying for weatherization go through a priority selection process which is highly based on the history of the household's energy use, followed by members of households. Elderly, disabled, or household with small children are first priority. 


Program eligibility is determined by income and household utility usage. Individuals that apply to the Low-Income Energy Assistant Program (LiHeap) have their cases referred to the weatherization program for eligibility determination. Weatherization is a program which allows you to apply for these services year round. If you have any questions about the Weatherization Program, please contact HACAP at